Crooked and damaged teeth can ruin one’s smile and personality. This is because the appearance and shade of our teeth are one of the most important ingredients of a beautiful smile. According to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey, people who have straight teeth and beautiful smiles are perceived as more approachable, friendly, and attractive than those who don’t.
But how can one improve their smile and facial aesthetics if one has crooked bottom teeth? The answer is orthodontic treatment and cosmetic dentistry. No matter how crooked or damaged teeth you have, dental braces and cosmetic dentistry can fix your smile. This blog discusses all the treatment options available to fix crooked teeth. So, read on to find out how can you fix your crooked bottom teeth.
What Causes Crooked Bottom Teeth?
Crooked teeth, both upper and lower, are quite common. If you or a loved one has crooked bottom teeth, they may be due to one of the following reasons:
- Jaw Size – smaller jaws that cannot accommodate all the teeth in optimal alignment
- Premature Loss of Milk Teeth – premature loss of the primary teeth resulting in the appearance of the permanent teeth in abnormal positions
- Parafunctional Dental Habits – some parafunctional dental habits, such as thumb sucking or nail biting can also result in the crooked appearance of the upper and lower teeth
Should Crooked Teeth Be Straightened?
Misaligned teeth should not only be straightened for aesthetic purposes but they should also be straightened for functional reasons. For example, crooked teeth make it difficult to eat and speak properly. Therefore, people with crooked teeth cannot digest food properly which results in generalised weakness or indigestion. Similarly, crooked teeth make it difficult to speak clearly. Therefore, it is important to get one’s crooked teeth straightened at an early age.
What Are The Benefits Of Straight Teeth?
If you’re thinking why you should consider getting your teeth straightened, here are a few reasons that will help you decide:
- Attractive Smile and Personality – one cannot enjoy a beautiful smile and an attractive personality without having perfectly aligned, straight teeth.
- Improved Oral Health – straight teeth are easier to clean. On the other hand, crooked teeth promote plaque and tartar deposition, and cause complications such as tooth decay and gum disease. So, straighter teeth help us maintain optimal oral health.
- Improved Physical Health – according to the American Dental Association, our physical health is directly linked to our oral health. This means that if one has misaligned teeth that cannot chew and digest food properly, it can lead to general health-related problems such as indigestion and weakness. So, straight teeth can help improve your physical health and well-being.
Do Crooked Teeth Cause Cavities?
As mentioned earlier, crooked teeth promote food impaction which can lead to plaque and tartar deposition. Both tartar and plaque provide an ideal environment for disease-causing bacteria to reside and replicate. These bacteria utilise sugars from plaque and tartar and release products that increase local acidity. This results in the removal of the minerals from the teeth into the oral cavity, making them vulnerable to dental cavities. So yes, crooked teeth are more at risk of developing tooth cavities.
How Can You Fix Crooked Bottom Teeth?
There are several options available to treat crooked bottom teeth. The gold standard for treating crooked teeth, whether upper, lower, or both, is orthodontic treatment. Orthodontists use various fixed appliances such as metal, lingual, or ceramic braces, or removable appliances such as clear aligners to treat dental alignment issues. These treatment options correct the underlying issue permanently and offer the best functional and aesthetic outcome.
On the other hand, if someone does not want to wait for 1 -2 years to get their teeth straightened with braces, they may utilise cosmetic dentistry to fix their issue. For example, mild to moderate teeth overcrowding or spacing can be fixed with porcelain veneers. However, these cosmetic options only fix the aesthetic issue and do not fix the underlying problem.
Therefore, the best option is to realign the teeth using aligners or braces.
How To Fix Crooked Teeth In Adults?
The best thing about orthodontic treatment is that it can be done at any age. Although it is best to straighten teeth during teenage, since the bones are flexible and allow for easier movement of the teeth, it doesn’t mean that adults cannot get braces or aligners.
Another option for fixing crooked teeth in adults is cosmetic dentistry. Your dentist will use porcelain veneers or crowns to cosmetically straighten your teeth, giving you a charming smile.
Orthodontists Near Me
Straightened crooked teeth is important for various reasons. If you or a loved one avoids smiling in public because of their crooked and misaligned teeth, orthodontic treatment is the best option for them. But an important aspect to consider is that one should always go to an experienced and qualified orthodontist to get their teeth straightened. You may find several novice dental practitioners offering treatment at amazingly low prices, but they will do more harm to your teeth than good.
If you live in Middlesbrough or the suburbs, you should Cleveland Orthodontics for all your teeth straightening needs. Our experienced orthodontists are there to straighten your teeth and restore your facial aesthetics and smile. So, book an appointment with us today and let us give you the smile you genuinely deserve. We look forward to serving you!